Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Now that's what I call an ultimatum!!

There's a great piece in my newspaper today, about how famous songs have been badly misheard. With my hearing the way it is, I couldn't resist Blogging - though it's all from a book out called: "Misheard Lyrics, malapropisms, Eggcorns and other linguistic gaffes". I doubt I'll buy it, but I've just read a few classics and I just have to share them.

"Stab in the Liver, Your mummy or your wife". Now this is a serious ultimatum!! It's a 1981 hit for Adam Ant - stepping into Gareth territory here - with that famous highwayman one. As you'll probably know, he actually sang: "Stand and deliver, your money or your life".

"The only boy who could ever reach me was the son of a pizza man". Dusty Springfield, Son of a Preacher Man. Extra cheese anyone? ;-)

"Then I saw her face, now I'm gonna leave her". It's the Monkees, with I'm a believer. And possibly, second doubts!

"Sweet dreams of Maitre'Ds". Or even "Sweet dreams are made of cheese". Eurythmics. (Sidenote: What was the cow doing in that video??)

11 comments:

GF said...

"Excuse me while I kiss this guy..." - Jimi Hendrix reaching for new heights in Purple Haze (as mis-interpreted by Ozzy Osbourne - now beat that!)

James said...

Top marks to Gareth again!! :)

Jase said...

Oh, Oh, My Ears are Alight!

With apolgies to Desmond Dekker & The Aces!

James said...

Only Baloney!

GF said...

"Those who find themselves re-ligi-ous..." - GK's interpretation of James' "Sit Down" as she sang aloud during their gig last week....

....I was inc-red-ulous! ;)

GF said...

Hey, how come you're not keeping us amused with witty stories of living with Sally?

She has the monopoly (and frankly biaised view) on what's been going on through her blog!?!?

Jase said...

SO does this mean that James has escaped the Glass Box? (Only to become trapped in a Sally shaped one?)

GF said...

Looks like James' has lost the will to blog. Shame really, as I never put him down as a lazy barsteward!!

Still, at least we get to chat to his better half whenever she slags him off on her blog...

GF said...

Maybe it's mind, but I've just realised what Jase said...

...perhaps James would like to be trapped in Sally's shaped box...

...oh wash my MIND OUT with soap...

Jase said...

Now, Now! I thought good and hard about my Box comment, whilst trying to maintain a very subtle level of innuendo!

For example I could have said here "I thought good and hard about Sally's box", but I didn't!

Still, I think having idle conversation here, will eventually drag James out of his laziness!

GF said...

How idle does the conversation need to become exactly? Even mentioning his Fiancee's box didn't manage a stirring (or maybe it did - just of a different kind!) ;)