Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Commonalities

Definately a football-less Blog today as I'm being drained by the stress of the whole thing. I wonder what it'll be like if you were actually *playing*? Anyway, it's a lovely sunny day. I'm beginning to figure out the nuances of my new mobile phone, and it's pay day soon!!

Today, I'm reading journals about chronic pain. *Cheery stuff!* Or more accurately, about cold pressor tasks. Those ones where you have to keep your hand in a bucket of cold water (0.5c) for as long as you can, while pain tolerance (in seconds) and pain intensity (on some sort of scale) are measured. It's not quite my area, but I'm looking for a journal or a paper that supports the arguement in mine: simply that while a task can distract you from the feeling of pain (read: tinnitus), it works both ways - that pain (read: tinnitus) can distract you from the task at hand. And pain is linked very strongly and has many commonalities with tinnitus. It sounds obvious - but without a reference, I can't say it in my paper. :-(

3 comments:

GF said...

Not quite sure what to say about this one.

It interests me (read: Tinnitus) as I've always been concerned with (paranoid of?) hearing loss with going to so many concerts and loving music so much. And in the past maybe 7 years or so have taken ear plugs with me though don't always feel the need to use them.

Interesting, as I've noticed that sometime tinnitus-type sounds in my ears can stop me falling asleep, but other times it's just not there at all.

I know it's not quite what you were talking about, but 'hey' what do I really know?

James said...

That's when tinnitus will strike normally. Bedtime. 98% of people will get tinnitus if left in a sound-proof room. It's perfectly natural as without any external activity, the ear sensitizes and sensitizes until it hears something (and conversely, at your concerts, desensitizes in the face of loud noise). Best not to worry about it and focus your attention on it. It could simply be you hearing the blood rushing through your eardrum. Hearing loss through industrial noise *ALWAYS* causes tinnitus, but you can have tinnitus without the accompanying hearing loss (good move with those earplugs, btw). Ears damage as you get older. 1/3 of the over 65s have tinnitus. It's natural. The worst thing to do is pay attention to it. Then it's got ya! ;-)

GF said...

Thanks for this mate, what you've said makes a lot of sense and helps greatly.....

:)