Monday, June 26, 2006

England 1 - Ecuador 0

Oh my giddy aunt...

What is it about England matches? You look forward to them (as I did) and then once they're about to start, you dread them (like I did). I think The Times summed it up best:

"Without Beckham's strike, England would have gone out, and the World Cup would have been written off as a disaster. With it, England go lurching on, like the clown car at the circus, with elliptical wheels, lopsided frame, and a tendancy to shed bits of itself with loud explosions as it keeps on going."

2 comments:

Rick Garel said...

Nice BLOG you have there, James. I was just reflecting on how the Internet has changed the world. It's possible as in this case to read about the daily events in a strangers' life. It makes the world a little smaller and maybe a little bit more friendly. Maybe as the world gets smaller, people will be less inclined to dehumanize each other and we will have a more peaceful planet. Hey I can dream, can't I?

Even though I'm not British, we Canadians have close ties with our UK cousins, so in that vein. Go England! Hopefully the team will come together in the next phase of the world cup.

Rick Garel
rickgarel@rogers.com

GF said...

Now the Times entry is very accurate indeed....made me laugh out loud! :)