Monday, June 05, 2006

Surnames

There's an article in my newspaper today about surnames, or rather, about distribution of surnames. Have a look here to see where people with your surname live (in the UK). If you have a look at "Jackson", you'll see we're mainly gathered in Yorkshire (and the NW). Sounds about right - even though most of my father's family is down in Nottingham these days. Apparently, there are 102,037 Jacksons in the UK - or there were in 1998. However, I can get round that by saying that my name is "popular", not "common"! There are (or again, were) 559 men out there with Jackson as their forename. As a first name, rather posh, it seems. Pointless research? Possibly, but it's an excuse to look at maps. I like looking at maps...

PS. Hugo wins, Sally. There are only 446 of you out there. Watch yourself though. We outnumber you 229-to-1. ;-)

4 comments:

Jase said...

Looks like my namesakes live in Oxford, Norfolk and South West Wales. Hardly a blip in the Yorkshire area.

James said...

Fair's fair, you're not there any more either. [And you were in Edinburgh in '98, weren't you?] ;-)

Seriously though, I think it's really interesting. And shows that your Mum and Dad are a northern outpost of a suprisingly rare name...

Jase said...

My Dad's family are pretty well rooted in Yorkshire, but our name was always pretty unique in the phonebook.

James said...

Can't say that about mine!! lol.