Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Hottest day ever?

According to my Tory Rag (The Mail), today *could* be the hottest day on record, with temperatures hitting 102f (39c) in the South-East... Thank God I live in the North-East. (Note: Roll on September). Still, it's 5-a-side football today. It's hot, and we had a possible "Chair" (an academic one, not a four-legged one) give a presentation at 1.30pm, so it got set back until 4pm. Imagine my distress on reading this in the paper:

-----
"The day is usally warmest not at noon, as many might think, but at around 4pm. This is when buildings and the ground, which have been warmed all day in the sun, are radiating heat back into the atmosphere."
-----

Bugger.

Still, all is not bad news. Important alcohol-related facts are evident. Whilst a cold beer will reach bathwater temperature in 15mins at 100f, chilled white wine will be undrinkable in ten minutes. [Ice cubes are recommended. :-)]

2 comments:

GF said...

qNow I like that kind of statistic!

Now to impress my (non-blog reading) friends... :)

Jase said...

I can add that chilled pomegranate juice keeps cool for ages!
The big bottle we took to the park yesterday was great!
(Apart from the spillage on my England Cricket hat!)