Thursday, October 19, 2006

Four long weeks

This may amuse some of you (knowing my student days, though I stress that I did "work" during my PhD), but the last four weeks have been the busiest four weeks of my life. Even before then, I was quite busy. I've had 60 business days to get back to the journal regarding the requested changes to my paper, and I've barely even looked at it in the last two months, let alone do the work. I've still got supervisees to see, I have seminars to take, essays to hand out (and collect in and mark), and I've 200 statistics scripts to mark before Tuesday. But, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Right now, I've found time for a cup of tea - though I have no memory of removing the teabag that now isn't there - so things are looking up.

Jase's Blog has commented on my egg-dropping task. A few people have in fact. My workshop yesterday was great fun, with thirty students in six groups. Four eggs out of six landed intact with some cracking ideas. They were all given carrier bags with: cardboard, some string, two 3x5 cards, four rolled-up newspaper pages, a very small piece of jiffy paper, a rubber, sellotape, scissors and an envelope. [And as Jase pointed out in his Blog, they could use the carrier bag]. Some great ideas. One team spooled their package out of the window with oodles of sellotape, lowering it gently to the ground. My personal favourite - who says girls don't have engineering minds? - was a team of female students who suspended their egg with string, wrapped up inside and suspended from a small cardboard trapezium, wrapping *that* inside all the packaging. The most elegant by far. They were even naming their eggs - though Egwina came to a sticky end...

Now, I'm off to do it again this morning with a different set of students. :)

2 comments:

Kean_Silvester said...

tea???

i though u only drunk coffee!??

James said...

Not true, mate. Not true. A cup of tea first thing if possible. Then coffee until 4pm. Then alcohol if available. :)


How's that Gas Rig?