Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Time for a quick Blog

Ironic really, as I don't actually have all that much time. :)

But a quick word to prove I'm still alive. Plenty on, including a series of "Problem Solving" workshops that I'm giving to the first year. Their task, with a carrier bag of string, bits of newspaper and card - and the mighty sellotape - is to drop an egg out of a second story window, using their stuff to see if they can stop it breaking. Ought to be a laugh.

Well, I hope it will be!

9 comments:

GF said...

Sounds like it could be a laugh indeed - is there a definitive solution?

James said...

Nope, funny though - people keep asking me that and I never even considered that there would be. Todays attempts (I went along to see the grand two storey dropping!) didn't work, but they weren't bad. Now, where can I buy more string for the next groups? I mean, who buys string these days??

GF said...

Lecturers?

Jase said...

And chefs!

Supermarkets sell string in the stationary section!

GF said...

Chefs don't buy stationery

Jase said...

No but they use string to tie up joints of meat / bad employees.

Anonymous said...

You should cheat and hard boil one. Then wow the students with your amazing unbroken egg.

S x

Kean_Silvester said...

i spent two months trussing chickens with string in suffolk.

just thought id mention that.

James said...

Ah, but I'm not dropping the eggs myself. ;-) And was that your summer job, Kean? I rememebr you coming back to Sheffield with tales of your God-awful summer job. There were definately chickens involved. It was "chicken packing", wasn't it??