Monday, July 02, 2007

Learning vs. "Staff"

Heh, I've been "attacked" - as Gareth says. Granted, it's verbal, not really an attack, and it's by a mate that I know well, so no worries. :) See here (second one down). It's in Jason's June archive. This is in response to a couple of postings by Jason about his plans for a new supercomputer to replace his current steam-powered device. Lots of techie talk and a comment by me underneath stating: " Heh, I don't understand any of the techie stuff. I wear my ignorance with pride!! :)"

Thing is, Jase, ignorance isn't something to be changed. That's lack of knowledge. Ignorance is a state of mind, or more exactly, a conscious - or mostly conscious - choice to not do anything about it(!) Thanks for the link though - I had already tweaked Oblivion but it did remind me that I should check for NWN2 updates. As it turns out, there were three! I've gone back to it recently having not quite finished it in the past - I'd tell you where but I fear giving a spoiler away. Turning off the anti-aliasing I can handle, but the innards I leave to Mik and Eddie to choose for me. As such, I don't need to know anything about the insides of my PC. I have staff! ;-) For example, my PC had a bit of a fit the other month, and the processor reset itself to something much slower. Called Eddie, he came round, showed me how to reset it in BIOS, sorted. God only knows how much extra reading I'd have to do - and my job involves a lot of reading - to prepare for any eventuality by myself.

PS. When I move to Huddersfield (for good!) in late August, no more easy access to Eddie and Mik for advice. But, fingers crossed, Geoff is on standby too. He also knows what he's talking about! :)

6 comments:

Jase said...

Yeah, Gareth got slightly the wrong end of the stick - I responded in the comments on that post too.
Having "Staff" is a great thing, and I know that I am "Staff" for many people where PCs are concerned!!!! It's understanding that people see me in that way that means that I have to prepare for the "Help" calls, making certain I am capable of responding (curse you Microsoft)!
I too just updated NWN2, but apart from a very brief session I am now hooked on LOTRO - blog to come soon.

James said...

I'll be interested in hearing about that, actually.

I well know that you have to be ready to help, so you *have* to keep up to date. Thankfully, I have friends who do that for me. Phew!

Again, ignorance is bliss. ;-)

Jase said...

In planning our migration over to Vista, I thought that I could save some pennies by not buying the top whack all singing all dancing version, but the one tool that I use to fix people's PCs remotely (i.e. I'm in London and I remote control their PC in Scotland or Yorkshire) is only included in the top whack version of Vista. Hence I need one copy of Expensive Vista or face the wrath of the enxtended family! (£40 extra well spent in my books)

LOTRO is WoW with Hobbits! Need I say more! Fortinbrand the Stoor Guardian is currently trying to get the Shire postal system working again!

Sal said...

BIOS, LOTRO, WoW, NWN2, Fortinbrand?

Sounds like I'll need some James-defnition ignorance myself come August :-)

Anonymous said...

You can ask for my help any time James, computer related or otherwise. I warn you though, I'm not as all knowing as you may have heard. I've started to fall behind the bleeding edge of technology a bit recently.

James said...

I have faith in you, mate!