Monday, September 18, 2006

Sons (and daughters) of Hull

The thing about this Blog is that I don't think it should be a diary, more a "what's on my mind at the moment" kind of thing. Good job really, as with the moving house business, my weekday life has been very full, yet boring recently!! Luckily, Sal and I have Huddersfield (and occassionally Hull) on the weekends - as you'll see on Sally's Myspace, we did manage to get a few drinks down us this weekend just past. :-) Since I've been quite busy lately getting the flat ship-shape, I haven't had the time to get worked up into my disgruntled-of-Hull frame of mind. There were some mentions of Hull in the news this week though. Hull doesn't have too many famous sons. You can count "The Beautiful South" - the drummer of which owns a lovely little restaurant just round the corner from me - but you're really left with Philip Larkin [the poet for those that don't know ;-)], Amy Johnston [the female flier], John Culshaw [yay!], John Prescott [boo!] and William Wilberforce. Oh, and Dave 'Devilfish' Ulliot, the professional poker player. The latter being a bit of a t*** to be honest.

Still, where was I? Ah yes, William Wilberforce. Here's a picture of the 102ft staute of him in the centre of Hull. They decided to light up earlier this month for the very first time - and they keep the lights on every night now. In March 2007 it will be 200 years since since the ‘Abolition of the Slave Trade’ Act. William Wilberforce, son of Hull, led a long and arduous campaign against the slave trade, resulting in the abolition bill in 1807. Since it'll soon be 200 years since we were the first country to abolish slavery - both in Britain and in the Empire at large - Hull is building up to quite the party. Great excuse for a piss-up if you ask me.

11 comments:

GF said...

What's with all the W's and what do the lines of the W's say?

I get the WW being his intials, but it's still not very clear....

Jase said...

I think it says Freedom...
Looks like a naked woman to me though!

James said...

lol. Where on earth do you see a naked woman in that??

GF said...

I now see Freedom, Relief and Changes.

As for the naked woman, who is can shed some psychology light on this around here!?!??....

Jase said...

Annotated Piccie

Jase said...

PS You did ask!

GF said...

You know, just before you posted this I came back on the site and saw the exact same thing!!!!

James said...

I fear for you both!

Jase said...

I feel vindicated and yet slightly dirty!

Sal said...

How on earth did you see that? :-) And where's the lady's arms. I notice your brain gave her boobs instead of arms. That's just terrible!

Jase said...

Benefits of a public school education! :P