Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Public Speaking

At the risk of being unsensitive - me, unsensitive, with my reputation? ;-) - what with poor Jase finishing his job soon (see Blog for details), I thought I'd put up a few words today about how much I love my job. I certainly love the public speaking. Maybe it's the buzz that I get after a talk - I've had to talk to three audiences this morning of over a 100 people each (third year registration and first year induction twice - running between next-door lecture theatres) with annoucements and things at 20mins a pop - or maybe it's the fact that since they've all paid £3,000 to be here, that they're all looking so keen to learn. They certainly seem like an interested year this time round. So I've got a real buzz from this mornings work and I'm still on a high an hour or so later.

Alas, I've got a lecture that I have to sit in this afternoon, a two hour one about how to teach. Level Two now, since I'm a lecturer not a postgraduate tutor any more. It's ironic really as these teaching lectures are among the most boring ones I've ever sat. A few years ago - Level 1 - even had a lecture about font size.

"This is 12 font - can you see how hard it is to read?".

"This is 14 font. It's a little bigger isn't it? But still a bit hard to read."

"This is size 16 font..."

Arrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :-)

6 comments:

Jase said...

Most boring course I had at Uni was "How to use a computer to type up your thesis". It was compulsory, lasted 2 hours and I finished all the "challenges" in approximately 8 minutes, having thumbed through the course notes!

Barney, who was sat next to me, was simlarly unimpressed, so we spent the next 100 minutes twatting each other on Doom (for which we stored the install file in a hidden folder on the chemistry research network drive)!

GF said...

I like public speaking - I had to do it weekly for four years when I did my Marketing degree - got taught loads about presenentations and how to talk and so on........

...forgot most of it now, though some would say I still like to talk!

Jase said...

Instead of mentioning Lorraine Kelly on my Blog, how about an update here?

James said...

I'm snowed under at this end matey, so I chose to read and comment on your Blog instead of updating mine. Next time, I'll do it the other way round and ignore yours. (joke) ;-)

Jase said...

I knew it was cold but I didn't reckon it was snowing in Hull!

I just thought you were still hung-over from Sally's night out! :P

James said...

Oh, I'm recovered from that. I think I recovered erm... Tuesday?? ;-)