Thursday, August 17, 2006

"Christ - it's my Father!"

Well, it looks like Jason is running out of steam on his Blog - though I'm sure he won't mind me saying so. However, never let it me said that I'll run out of random rubbish to entertain/bore you with. Plenty more left here. ;-)

As it turns out, when I was born, my Mum thought I was the spitting image of her. About an hour later, she'd decided that I looked more like my father. And some time after that, when Dad had come from work, he rushed in, saw the very young me for the first time and uttered the immortal phrase "Christ - it's my father!" I went back to York Tuesday/Wednesday for a quick break and being at home reminded me of this. I was just struck by the idea that when it comes to faces, different people are struck by and notice different things in the same face at different times, dependent on a whole host of other factors. Might be the psychologist in me, but I think it's all very interesting.

Plus, I get to say "Gestalt". ;-)

7 comments:

Jase said...

Depending on the photo, Lauren looks either the spitting image of me or Serena as a baby.
She is clearly a Gestalt entity.

Sal said...

J, you use the word gestalt far more than anyone would think possible. I'm absolutely positive you cunningly build conversations just so you can use it! For the benefit of others, I've clocked him at 3 times in one day. Sx

GF said...

Gestalt? That was the Nazi Secret Police, yeah?

Gotta say, I loved this story made me laugh, and yet your idea of people see what they want to see in faces.

On seeing a photo of my Mum and Dad's wedding (when looking at my Dad's photo), my 3 year old niece asked what I was doing her Auntie's wedding!?!?

James said...

lol. I like that one.

James said...

Plus, you're close there, Gareth. Gestalt Psychology came out of Germany in the mid-1930s. Alas, the Nazism happening at the same time made it "pretty unfashionable" for a couple of decades...

Gestalt. Gestalt. Gestalt.

Kean_Silvester said...

ive only heard it once on the back of those old red dward books when i was kid..grant naylor is a gestalt entity living in peckham or something..........talking....im talking........dont laugh lynne!! you've broken your neck!!

kean

Rena said...

LOL, liked this post!

I don't think Jase has really run out of steam; it's just that life is a bit hectic again with my exam looming ever closer and J being on baby sitting duties.

He's also back playing X3 and Oblivion again, after recently having quite a lot of time in WoW, so maybe more will appear on his blog after that!

Rena