Thursday, August 31, 2006

Happy birthday to me (ish)

Well, as Jason pointed out in the previous comments, my birthday is on Friday. Thanks to Serena and Gareth for the birthday wishes. I came into this world at 9.40pm, September 1st, 1973 (Fussy Virgo, that's me). I thought I'd mention it today instead as I am midway into the "Great House Move" and my internet access is spotty at best. I'm in the office at the moment, to get a little work done between trips, but all I've managed to do is sort my inbox. My broadband is being moved my Kingston Communications (takes up to six days??) so no real internet connection for a while. I'll be in Huddersfield tomorrow - as my flat will still be a tip - but it anybody would like to have a drink in my honour at 9.40pm, knock yourself out. I can guarantee that I'll be having a drink at the same time. Let's get that dopamine flowing!!

Dopamine: "Dopamine appeared very early in the course of evolution and is involved in many functions that are essential for survival of the organism, such as motricity, attentiveness, motivation, learning, and memorization. But most of all, dopamine is a key element in identifying natural rewards for the organism. These natural stimuli such as food and water cause individuals to engage in approach behaviours. Dopamine is also involved in unconscious memorization of signs associated with these rewards."

Appropriate approach behaviour: reach for wine bottle. Bottoms up. ;-)

3 comments:

Jase said...

Happy Birthday mate

Rena said...

Happy birthday!!

I know your birthday is the 1st but I (in my exam fuelled haze) thought that there were only 30 days in August, so thought your birthday was the next day!

Hope you had a good one.

Rena and Lauren xx

James said...

No worries Rena - and Lauren. The thought was there and that's more than enough for me. :-)

Exam-fuelled hazes suck! Having said that, I'm also in sympathy with the exam-marking hazes on the other isde of things!