Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Unsung Landmarks

The BBC (website magazine) is having a vote on Britain's unsung landmarks. The final eight are here.

"What's an unsung landmark?: For every classic, tourist-friendly landmark, such as the London Eye, Big Ben, Liverpool's Liver Building, Stonehenge or Edinburgh Castle, there are dozens of lesser-known but equally loved notable buildings and structures across the UK. But rarely, if ever, do these figure in tourist brochures or Richard Curtis films - their fan base tends to be among locals, rather than foreign travellers or out-of-towners."

So, on behalf of Hullonians everywhere - yep, Hullonians is the proper word even though I still stress that I'm from York - I urge you to go to the site and vote for the Humber Bridge. (Number 8). I pass it every week on my way to/from Sally's and it's striking thing to see.

7 comments:

GF said...

The BBC have a webcam on top of the Humber Bridge, though I've never seen the structure 'in the flesh'

Jase said...

I've walked half way across and back... Its a long bugger!
I think it would be a choice between the Humber Bridge and Jodrell Bank for me...

GF said...

Haven't seen Jodrell Bank before - and I lived in Cheshire for 9 months!!!! Ironic.

Rena said...

If you read this today: happy birthday, James!!

Hope it's a good one. Console yourself with the fact that the rest of us turned 33 before you did and that Jase is rapidly heading towards his 34th!

;-))

Love,
Rena, Jase and Lauren xxx

GF said...

Hey! - I feel so young!! :)

No seriously, didn't know it was your Birthday but if S is telling the truth then - Happy Birthday!

G

Jase said...

A bit premature....

James' birthday is on Friday!

James said...

Indeedy, but thank you all. :-)

And I can say that I've walked all the way across the Humber bridge and back. I can confirm that it's as long as Jase says it is - and that I won't be doing it again in a hurry!!