Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Large Institutions

Thanks to my "promotion", I'm now a module manager. What this has meant is that I need to get access to some of the interactive computer stuff - namely "Blackboard" - and this requires passwords and what-not. The departmental IT guy sent me to the Computer Centre who, in turn, sent me to e-learning. Now, campus is pretty big. In fact, the University is the largest employer in Hull - a city of 300,000 people - and even pointed to the right building, it took ages to find it this morning. No-one knew where their office was and when I found it, I was stunned to have stumbled into the worst-signposted, most cunningly-hidden offices I've seen in my life so far. And then, as things would have it, I should have been told by the Computer Centre to send them an e-mail. So I was quickly pushed back out the door again with an e-mail address to write to once I got back to the office. Two hours later - no reply. Tsk!

Anybody else out there work in a big, big company?? (Or institution).

6 comments:

Sal said...

I called the HR helpline and the computer helpdesk at HBOS yesterday and neither were interested in my name, they only wanted my staff ID so they could find my details. Now I've got the new job, I really *am* just a number! Sx

Sal said...

70,000 employees and I'm still the only Hugo...

Jase said...

I am in Clydebank today "showing face" as the project team I manage are all up here testing at the moment. So that meant a 4.30 am start, getting home around 8 pm.
Alex meanwhile is swanning around in Zurich! I think I need to change companies!

GF said...

I'm in Leeds today - that's typical, huh Jase?

The most beauracracy I've seen so far is my last Client (who shall remain nameless though most know who it was).

The example that comes to mind is that you had an ID pass to get through the doors in the morning. However they expire after a period of time. Then you have to fill out a new form and get it signed by your boss, then take it to finance for approval (after a credit check!?!) and then to security to approve it before the tick a box on a computer screen somewhere to get it re-activated!!

Seriously - this is after having been working there for 3 months, and just a renewal!

Rena said...

I can bet that my employer, the NHS, beats all of yours hands down in terms of beaurocracy, manager-led madness and wasted opportunities.

In the nine years I have been employed by them, I have seen all manner of stupid and expensive ideas being put into practice, just because some big wig thought it was a good idea at the time.

Either that or someone sleeping with a top manager thought it was a good idea...something like that anyway ;))

And when they run out of good ideas, there is always a new "target" they can introduce.

Wow, I have become so cynical!!!

Kean_Silvester said...

First company had 150000 people most of them frogs.

this new company has about 800.