Wednesday, August 23, 2006

IKEA

As some of you will know, I'm moving house next Tuesday. Well, collecting the keys at least. Since I'm going up in the world, I'm moving away from the world of the partially-furnished student hovel to a fashionable - unfurnished - Avenues pad [The Avenues being the snazzy part of Hull near all the good restaurants and the ice-cool, too-expensive-for-students bars]. So, short of furniture, it was off to Ikea (Leeds) yesterday. Now it's a good hour drive for us (my flatmate Dave and myself), but I still wasn't expecting to set off at 1.30pm and not get home until 9.45pm at night. It's bloody huge, utterly soul-destroying and with most things I wanted being out of stock. Still I bought a wardrobe (and a new not-IKEA bed in Hull this morning). Overall, I'd put my first shopping experience of IKEA - note, I've been before but not buying - in the negative. As Dave said "We can buy great big pictures of Audrey Hepburn for our living room walls, but no chairs to sit on". (And no, we didn't buy any pictures of Audrey Hepburn). :-)

6 comments:

Jase said...

How to shop at Ikea (One Man's Guide):

1/ Check the website and write down everything you want as well as checking availability.
2/ Don't take any women with you.
3/ Traverse the show room quickly, just finding what you want and writing down the warehouse locations for the flat packs.
4/ Check you haven't acquired any women.
5/ Don't be seduced by Rugs, Throws, Pictures of Zebras (or Audrey Hepburn) or Lighting (their lamps are crap quality - hence why they are cheap).
6/ Verify that number of Y chromosomes still equals number of X chromosomes.
7/ Having used the shortcut to avoid most of the "market place" collect your flat packs from the warehouse and proceed directly to the soul destroying queue (I mean check-out).
8/ Get the packages to the car.
9/ Be thankful there are no women present to tut at you whilst you fail miserably to get everything into the car.
10/ Drive off with head at strange angle due to presence of 8 foot Billy bookcase above head.

James said...

1/ Didn't do.
2/ Check.
3. Nope.
4/ Check.
5/ Close run thing. Though I did by a £1.59 clock and a wine rack.
6/ Check.
7/ Wanted to - got disorientated by confusing bed showroom and various shiny things.
8/ Check.
9/ Check.
10/ Not a Billy bookcase, but otherwise Check.

Next time, I will obey all your sagely advice, my friend. :-)

GF said...

I never find the Glasgow Ikea to be that bad (or indeed soul-destroying) - I quite enjoying taking a trip there.

Mind you, I too have a sore neck after the Billy Bookcase. Strange that.

Jase said...

Big difference between Glasgow and Leeds Ikeas?

Glasgow Ikea has been around for years and years, whereas Leeds is relatively new.

Hence Glaswegians are now Ikea-savvy and generally follow my guide to the letter!

Whilst my Parents were visitting I managed 2 trips to Ikea's flagship store in North London.

Visit 1:
Me and my Dad.
In and out of store in only 15 minutes with all desired items.

Visit 2:
Me, Serena, Lauren, My Mum and My Dad.
3 hour visit cut short by Lauren getting tetchy!

Oh Horror! The new Ikea catalogue arrived last weekend!

Rena said...

Hey, I read that!!!

Just for those malicious comments I will need to subject my naughty husband to another family Ikea experience!!

;-))

Rena

Jase said...

I thought you were studying?