Thursday, May 11, 2006

It's a funny old game

Played football again yesterday, too. Some people came and went during the hour, but we were managing a stable six-a-side, all skill levels, all fitness levels. Psychology vs. Sports Science/Sports Centre Admin. I don't think I did too badly this time. As it turns out, I can do a mean sliding tackle. I'm not too hot with the ball itself, but I'm more a hang back, pass sideways option for the old one-two. Besides, I simply don't have the fitness to run forwards and backwards all game. Up just past the halfway line, yes. But not all the way! Dave can, and a few of the others, but I have to content myself with right back/midfield. Funny really as at one point, I found myself up on the left. Got a great pass threaded through to me, just ahead of my feet. Got to it, half-controlled it, then suddenly realised I was on the opposite side to normal and was struggling with a daft urge to cross it left and off the pitch, rather than right towards goal (old right-back habits die hard). In that split second of confusion, I paused, shifted my weight onto the *side* of my right foot, stumbled and fell over. Fantastic!! ;-)

No comments: