Friday, May 19, 2006

Marking mountain climbed (stopping for whinge at top)

Phew! I'm pleased to report that I've finished the marking. Just now. It's a real shame that 12.08pm on a Friday isn't the best time to start something new. Besides, I'm off the Huddersfield later to see Sally, so I suppose I'll slack a bit, rattle off some e-mails and have a long lunch. There's plenty to do, of course. But nothing in the "sort in thirty minutes/hour " category. Haven't heard back from York St John, but no worries there: (a) I can easily convince myself I didn't actually want it; and (b), plenty more options left. What I am going to do, is have a whinge about something else. :-)

Battlestar Galactica (the modern re-make). I'm a fan, most of you will know that. But the last in the series - I think - was on this week. 90mins worth. So I sat down to enjoy it (at home in York, the perfect distraction the night before my interview) and, same as last week, Sky didn't have subtitles showing on the programme. In fact, there were subtitles running in the adverts, but not the programme itself. This is starting to happen more and more now and it's hacking me off. (Not just my digibox, but my parents and at friends). My hearing isn't that bad, but I do need the subtitles as a guide to trick myself into thinking I can hear the dialogue. I can also relax, which is what I want to do in front of the telly, not strain every fibre of my being to catch things. Now, it ended on a bit of a cliffhanger, so I wanted to hear what was going on - not guess from the bits of it I did hear. So last night, I watched the repeat on Sky Two. And guess what? No bloody subtitles. I tell you, I'm actually *compaining* to Sky. "Disgruntled of Hull" and all that. It's not fair. And having the advertisement subtitles working normally was just a slap in the face. I'm not one to normally go on about my hearing loss (I hope), but this time I'm so frustrated, it's untrue.

Lazy Sky *%$£"&%!!

2 comments:

Rena said...

Fingers crossed for your job interviews!

GF said...

I think losing my hearing is my biggest fear.....good job it wasn't losing my hair!!