Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Greasy Chip Butties

Hmmm... to my horror (see his Blog), Jason is swinging towards Chelsea FC. Time perhaps to redeclare to the world - sorry Eddie - that if I have to pick a football team of my own, it has to be Sheffield United. All together now (to theme of Annie's Song):



You fill up my senses
Like a gallon of Magnet
Like a packet of Woodbine
Like a good pinch of snuff
Like a night out in Sheffield
Like a greasy chip butty
Like Sheffield United
Come thrill me again....
Na Na Naa Naa Naa Naaa Naaaaa, ooo!

And now an explanation for those from foreign climes - i.e. Down South. ;-)

To a native of Sheffield the words are probably self-explanatory; the words celebrate the many pleasures that can be had in Sheffield, culminating in the target of the fan's adoration, Sheffield United. Magnet is a beer brewed near Sheffield. Some people claim that the second line is really, Like a gallon of maggots. Maggots would not be unreasonable, as fishing is popular in the region and hence a gallon of maggots would mean a good day out fishing. Woodbine refers nostalgically to a once popular brand of cigarette. Snuff is ground tobacco for sniffing up the nose.

A Greasy chip butty can be purchased in any of the many fish and chip shops. Butty is a slang word for sandwich, so a chip butty is simply a sandwich where the filling is chips, ideally greasy and sprinkled with salt and vinegar. Generally, a white sandwich bap will be used for the bread. In Sheffield, these are known as "Breadcakes".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

*presents twin digits rampant on a sable background*

Foreign? Down South??? Who you calling a southern foriegn type?

Bloody Sassenach!

Taz

Jase said...

Lol

GF said...

I just find it amusing that James finds the need to explain the lyrics!!!!

Must be for the Southerners as it's clearly understood even if you're from so far North you're in a different country!

James said...

Sassenach? I resent that! lol. Well, granted, I *am* a Sassenach but my dad was born in Fort William. That means my paternal side is most definately not full of lowlanders - none of that Edinburgh/Glasgow nonsense. ;-)

Sal said...

I'm a girl, and therefore excluded from football conversations (rightly so), but I understood you couldn't just *pick any team you like* to support. Such as, 'I drove through this town yesterday and now I'm supporting its team because they're performing better than Leeds United'.