Thursday, April 27, 2006

Specsavers... we have a problem

Went to the opticians today. Kind of a saga in itself. Part of my contact lens deal is that I have a contact lens check very so often, and a proper sight test every two years or so. In the past month, I've started to get very *aggressive* letters from Specsavers to let me know that: (a) a sight test is needed; and (b) that unless I go, they'll stop sending me contact lenses. Now, me being me, I filed those letters under "must sort out" and promptly forgot every day when I left the house - only remembering again that evening that it still needed sorting. Anyhow, after much faffing, and three separate cancellations due to other commitments, I actually went today.

Sight test was great. Men "my age" tend to have very stable eyesight, said bloke A. And he was right, it hadn't changed at all in three years. But the contact lens check (they made me stay - hanging around in Starbucks next door for 30mins - for one of those as well) was a bit trickier. Turns out that my left eye isn't getting enough oxygen. I was sensing something was up when he was tutting away as he held my eyelid up - I kid you not - with a bladed stick thing and tutted. Not one for the squeamish - and I can be quite squeamish about other people sticking their fingers in my eye. Then Bloke B said "we've got a problem" and went on to explain "some bits aren't doing as well as they might be". **Some bits?** Eh? Who's the normal clientale for this place? (Don't answer! lol). Still, long story short. It's back to the glasses for a bit while they send off for contact lenses made from a different material. No real harm, no real foul. Just a now-too-conscious awareness that my eye feels funny. That's my mind playing tricks with me. Over-attentuation sucks. :-)

3 comments:

Jase said...

I tried contact lenses and to be honest I can't be bothered with them.
I have daily disposables that I never wear.
I reckoned I would use them when "going out", but I don't seem to do that any more (for some reason)!

GF said...

Jase that's just being lazy, that's the reason!

Jase said...

Yeah and!