Monday, April 03, 2006

Hell on Wheels

Urgh!

What a last few days. I was down in Cardiff at the end of last week for the British Psychology Society (BPS) Conference - you may all have noticed a few psychology research articles getting into the papers? Including Dave, my office/house mate. He got onto the radio, and into The Sun. If the BPS decide to include your poster in the press release, then next stop: Look North!! I'm not kidding, they're sending a cameraman over for him. Well done, that man. :-)

But it did all involve a lot of traveling. I tried to make it better by going over to Huddersfield to stay at Sally's the night before I was heading down, so that meant 1.40hrs. Then to Cardiff the next day via Manchester, Birmingham and Bristol (5hrs). Coming back on the Saturday (5hrs). Back to Hull late on Sunday should have been 1.40hrs but I didn't count on engineering works on Sunday evening. I had to get a *bus* to Dewsbury. Got off at the station. Nothing there. No-one. Just a sign saying there were no trains running through the station at all. Went back to the bus, turned out it was going on to Leeds and I shouldn't have got off it in the first place (but no-one told me). God only knows what would have happened if it had driven off while I was wandering around at empty station. I mean Dewsbury?? But got back on, and got to Leeds too late for the Hull train. Next one? Two hours wait, leaving at 22.30pm and getting into Hull midnight. NOT ACCEPTABLE. Not knowing anything - as it was Sunday and all the customer help kiosks were *shut* - I jumped on the 8.45pm to York, looking for other options. Thankfully, Sally checked ahead online and was able to text me - just before the batteries went! - that a 21.41 to Hull (no changes) existed and I caught that - took one more hour - and then got a taxi home. Buitching to the driver as we went. By the time I got home, I was *niggled*. A 1.40hr train journey took four stops, the best part of four hours, and ensured that over the last week, I've spent a good twenty hours on the train, waiting for a train, sat on a bus replacement for a train. and so on.

I had a hospital appointment tomorrow morning - in York - at 9.15am. Bollocks to that. I'm not moving this week, I'm not bloody going anywhere in the next few days. They can get stuffed!! I'm rung them, but couldn't get passed the automatic phone system. Will they get back to me fairly soon re: my request for a new appointment? I bet they don't.

No comments: